Have you ever done something for the first time that just made you fall in love? That’s exactly how I felt after being invited to experience the beautiful Island of Barbados with it’s tourism board and Black Girls Travel Too. This was a week long, beautiful excursion with amazing bloggers from around the world that came together to dive into the Bajan culture. What made it even more awesome was that this was the first time a tourism board has sponsored an all black influencer trip, which included girls from the United States, Africa, Cuba, Jamaica and the Bahamas. How awesome is that? What was so beautiful is that we all looked so uniquely different, had diverse styles and features, but we all had travel in common. To be able to share stories from around the world and experience Barbados together was a total dream come true for me. I could go on, but I want to take you through my week to show you where to go, stay and where to eat that will make Barbados a total dream vacation for you. We did so much each day, that I’ll share the highlights of my trip below. If you want to see the entire trip, you can watch my “Barbados Highlight” on Instagram by clicking here.
Where to stay in Barbados:
The Hilton Resort Barbados – The beautiful Hilton is a great place for family and big groups. There are lots of restaurants, pools and activities for you and your friends to enjoy. Located right by the beach, it’s a safe and clean environment for all to enjoy. I’d give it a 10/10.
The Club Barbados – The Club is a beautiful hotel with an even better room view. Imagine waking up and going to bed to the sounds of waves beating against the shore. I don’t think I’ve had better sleep than at my say at this beautiful place. The staff is great, the food is delicious and the views are just beyond beautiful.
Where to go and what to do:
Barbados is filled with so much do, yet it’s a place of relaxation and peace. It’s an island where you can be the life of the party, or you can get away from all the noise to quiet your mind and get rejuvenated. Whichever way you like to vacation, there’s something fun for the entire family.
- Cooking class on the beach: We enjoyed an interactive cooking class on the beach with world famous Chef, Creig Greenidge, at Hasting Rock Beach. He started the cooking class with some history and background on Bajan cuisine, then we got into all the fun stuff. We made fried sweet potatoes, fried salt fish and chicken curry salad, which were all super delicious. I’d recommend booking this class as one of your excursions on the island. It’s a great way to connect with your group and offers the opportunity for amazing photographs along the beach. If you are wanting to book a class, contact Chef Craig at ChefCreig @gmail.com
- Nikki Beach Barbados: The first and original luxury beach club that’s filled with so much beauty and character. We made our way to Nikki Beach for lunch, drinks (water and juice for me lol) and to take a dip in the beautiful ocean. This is a high end Day club, so I would suggest pulling out your best bathing suit and get ready to network with some major players from around the world. It’s where the elite hang out, but it’s not stuffy at all. We had a total blast, which you can see more of in my Instastories, here. Visit Nikkibeach.com/barbados to book your experience as it fills up fast!
- Cruise with Miami Catamaran Cruises: This is a must when you come to Barbados. We set sail for a half day across the island, which included an amazing Bajan lunch, swimming with the turtles, jet ski’s and the highlight was seeing Rihanna’s New home, where she filmed her famous segment with Oprah Winfrey. You are able to book a tour by visiting www.tiamicatamarancruises.com
- Make a stop by Rhianna Drive: What is Barbados without Rihanna, right? The island has so much love and respect for Riri, who seems to hold her roots very close to her heart. On our way across the island, we had the opportunity to stop by the home she grew up in. They have now dedicated the entire street to her, and you’ll see a plaque featuring her on that very corner. I met a lady who said that she was Rihanna’s Godmother. She told us amazing stories of her as a kid and how special she has always been. Now of course I can’t confirm those stories, but we can all agree that the pop star comes back home often and stays close to the people she grew up with. In order to visit, you can either book a tour or ask a cab driver to take you to Rihanna Drive.
- Cherry Tree Hill: To all my content creators, photographers and people looking to capture the beauty of Barbados. It’s a must that you make your way to Cherry Tree Hill to capture the beauty of the island from the top. There are certain views that just put you in awe, and this is definitely one of them. You’ll also find sweet vendors selling trinkets, art and even shoes that are unique to the island.
- Explore the island on a jeep safari (picture via Island Safari) – I’m all about having unique experiences when I travel the world, and that’s exactly what I got on the safari tour with Island Safari Barbados. You load up in an open jeep and cruise up and down the hills of Barbados, while gaining knowledge on the true history of the island. If I could rate this experience, I’d give it an 11/10, that’s how awesome it is. You can book your excursion at islandsafari.bb/
Where to eat:
- Eco Lifestyle Lodge: One of my favorite places to have lunch in all of Barbados. Imagine an island vibe mixed with luxury and tranquility. That’s the best way I can describe this place. It’s a content creators dream when it comes to the aesthetics, and the food is absolutely delicious. I recommend getting the fried fish tacos, avocado toast and bread fruit. Absolutely amazing! I would suggest booking a reservation as this restaurant is pretty small and can fill up fast (Note that this is a vegetarian place, so no meat is served) – www.ecolifestylelodge.com
- Daphne’s Barbados: An upscale and quaint restaurant that serves delicious modern Italian food by the sea. I’d recommend going at night as the views are very romantic and the ambiance is just amazing. For my meal, I had the the potato ravioli with asiago cheese, asiago-filled chicken breast and warm carrot, orange and hazelnut cake. You can make reservations and check out more of the menu at daphnesbarbados.com/menus
- Cocktail Kitchen – One of my favorite places on the island for a fun yet chill dinner. I loved the live music featuring all the latest R&B hits as we enjoyed a delicious dinner over inspiring conversations. We went on a Sunday evening, which seemed to be the hot spot to meet up with friends before heading into a busy work week for the Bajans. Everything from the popcorn appetizer, to the pan seared chicken and potatoes, and warm cake (not exactly sure what kind it was) was absolutely delicious. I’d consider this the perfect friends night out or date night with that special someone. Like many of the restaurants on the island, space is limited, so it’s best to make reservations ahead by booking here.
There’s so much to Barbados that I could do about 10 more posts and still not cover everything, but these are my top recommendations. Definitely be sure to check out my Instagram and my Instastories for more details on experiencing the beauty of Barbados. It’s one thing to tell you what to do, it’s another to see it for yourself, and that’s what I show you on my page. I’m excited announce that I’ll be heading back in 2019, and I’d love for you to join me. I’ll have more information on it soon, so be on the look out.
If you are planning to book a vacation or visit Barbados, please let me know below. I’d love share or answer any questions you may have before you go.